Protocol and Practice of Persons Appearing in the Court of Commissioner Lindsey Coates
You are here: Judicial Biographies<< return to previous page
Trial Practice and ProtocolTrial Practice and Procedure
Through May 1, 2020, the following procedures are applicable to cases with hearings scheduled in Courtroom 209 (Commissioner Coates):
• All hearings will be held telephonically, only. If a telephonic-only hearing will not suffice, counsel for the moving party shall file a written motion with the clerk of the court and email a copy directly to division staff at least 24 hours in advance of the hearing. Please do not arrive for hearings in person or knowingly allow your clients to do so, even if you have moved for an in-person hearing and you do not yet know the Court’s decision. Please plan to submit necessary documents physically in advance, electronically in advance via JAX, or via email to division staff. Proposed orders should be submitted in separate PDFs from the motions to which they relate. (Local Rule 2.17)
• To facilitate telephonic appearances, the Bridge Line for Commissioner Coates is 1-855-506-9695, Code 903913#. As soon as you dial-in to that number, you are highly likely to be in the courtroom and on the record. Please advise your clients of the same. No party or counsel should call that number and automatically announce or inquire while another proceeding is ongoing; thank you for helping keep our record of proceedings clean and timely. Please note that all hearings are set for a specific time. Only call in at the designated time for your hearing.
• If you become aware that you, an immediate in-home family member, a client, an immediate in-home family member of a client, or anyone who would normally appear for a case is ill with a fever or other significant symptoms, waivers of appearances will be granted, including for telephonic hearings. Please give as much notice as possible in advance of the hearing by calling 602-372-2053 to address waiver before the hearing occurs. Please do not let any symptomatic or ill individuals transport or handle documents or other items that will be submitted physically in advance of telephonic hearings.
• With all hearings now telephonic, this should not be an issue, but just in case, please do NOT arrive at the Old Courthouse ill, and please do NOT knowingly allow anyone else to do so. Court Security has been given direction to exclude symptomatic individuals at security. Also with all hearings telephonic, signs will be posted on the exterior courtroom doors to direct anyone who arrives in person to call Division staff to advise that they are present.
• These procedures will be revisited on an ongoing basis; please call 602-372-2053 with any questions.