Superior Court >Law Library Resource Center >Glossary

Temporary Orders Temporary orders are orders the judge may enter in your case while you are waiting to finalize the divorce. Either the Petitioner or the respondent can file for temporary orders. Temporary orders are short-term decisions by the judge about child support, Legal Decision Making (Custody), parent-child access (parenting time), Spousal maintenance, property, and payment of debts, until a final court order on the case.

To file for temporary orders you need a special court form called the Petition for Temporary Orders, and some other documents. You also need to get a hearing date scheduled for the judge to decide about the temporary order petition.

Filing the Paperwork You can file the papers for temporary orders at the same time you file for divorce. If you do this, get the hearing date set the temporary orders while you're at the Court filing and then be sure these papers with the Temporary Order hearing date are served with the divorce papers. If you file for temporary orders at some other time, then you must be sure you serve the papers on your spouse.

You can get the forms, and instructions about the forms and how to get the hearing date set in our Forms section.

Be sure you write down the date and time of the court hearing so that you are not late, and so that you do not forget to come to court. If you do not come to court as scheduled, the judge might still enter a temporary order that is favorable to the opposing party.

click here for Law Library Resource Center
Americorps Vista