Superior Court >Law Library Resource Center >Glossary

What to do once the Judge signs the Order of Protection If the judge signs the Order of Protection, you must give legal notice to the defendant through formal service of a copy of the petition and order. The court order is not valid until served. You cannot serve these papers yourself. You can pay a private process server to do this, or police officer can serve papers for you. Private process servers are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone directory. You can also pay the Sheriff to serve the papers or the Constable if you file in the Justice Court. If you qualify for a deferral or waiver of fees, you do not have to pay the Sheriff or Constable. The Certificate or Affidavit of Service form is legal notice to the court that the order was served on the defendant. This is filed for you by the process server or Sheriff who served the order on the defendant.

You may still have contact with the defendant for parenting time matters or other matters connected with a divorce, or paternity, or child support case.

click here for Law Library Resource Center