Superior Court >Law Library Resource Center >Glossary

What to do once the Judge has signed the Order If the judge signs the injunction, you must give legal notice to the defendant through formal service of a copy of the petition and order. You cannot serve these papers yourself. You can pay a private process server to do this, or any police officer can serve papers for you. Private process servers are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone directory. You can also pay the Sheriff to serve the papers. If you qualify for a deferral or waiver of fees, you do not have to pay the Sheriff or Constable. After the Sheriff, Constable, or process server serves the papers on the defendant, he or she will file a certificate or affidavit of service to prove that the defendant received notice of the court order.

click here for Law Library Resource Center
Americorps Vista