Superior Court >Law Library Resource Center >Forms >Family Court

  • You want to file for legal separation; AND

WARNING: If the other party does not want a Legal Separation, the Court may change the Petition for Legal Separation into a Petition for Divorce if you and/or your spouse have lived in Arizona for the last 90 days prior to filing the Petition for Legal Separation.

  • You do not have a "covenant-marriage", or since you were married you have not agreed to change your marriage to a "covenant-marriage" (These papers will not work for a covenant marriage.* AND
  • You and your spouse do not have minor children with each other AND the wife is not pregnant by the husband and will not be pregnant by the husband before the legal separation is over (There are separate forms and instructions for legal separation with minor children.); AND
  • You or your spouse either live in Arizona or are a member of the armed services and stationed in Arizona; AND
  • You or your spouse have tried to make your marriage work, or have tried to resolve the issues related to the legal separation through Conciliation Court, or there is no point in trying because the marriage is over and conciliation will not help.
*What is a "Covenant Marriage"? To have a "covenant marriage", both husband and wife would have had to:
  1. sign papers (essentially a contract) requesting a covenant marriage;
  2. attend pre-marital counseling; AND
  3. your marriage license would say "Covenant Marriage."

If you were married before August 21, 1998 and have not signed papers to convert your marriage to a "covenant marriage", you do not have a "covenant marriage". See A.R.S. ยง 25-904 for requirements for legal separation for a "covenant marriage". If you still have questions about whether you have a "covenant marriage", see a lawyer for help.

This packet contains court forms and instructions about filing a legal separation petition and other papers when there are no minor children. Be sure the documents are in the following order:

Packets contain ALL forms and ALL instructions needed for this process. Where there are separate packets for Instructions and Forms, get BOTH packets.

Title File English Spanish
To Start The Legal Process When No Minor Children Are Involved - Instructions DRLSA1 PDF PDF

The individual forms and instructions below are already included in the Packet(s) above. If you choose to download the documents individually, make sure you get ALL of the instructions and ALL of the forms. Be sure the documents are in the following order:

Order Title File English Spanish
1 Instructions on filling out the forms drlsa10i PDF PDF
2 Procedures: How to file legal separation without minor children papers with the court drlsa10p PDF PDF
Order Title File English Spanish
1 Family Court/Sensitive Data Cover Sheet drsds10f-a PDF PDF
2 Summons dr11f PDF PDF
3 Petition for Legal Separation Without Minor Children drlsa10f PDF PDF
4 Preliminary Injunction dr14f PDF PDF
5 Notice Regarding Creditors dr16f PDF PDF
click here for Law Library Resource Center
Americorps Vista