Juvenile Probation

How Can a Juvenile Be Made to Pay Restitution? When a victim is granted restitution, it's usually made a term of the juvenile's probation. That means that he is expected to pay that restitution, and pay it by a certain date. Most juveniles are expected to pay a part of it each month.

Some juveniles do not have the ability to pay restitution - they may be very young and not have a job. These juveniles are assigned to a program called JCORPS in which they do community service. The money they would earn for that service is used to pay the victim's restitution.

Juveniles in JCORPS also participate in counseling and educational programs that will help them develop responsibility and job skills so they have the ability to keep themselves out of trouble in the future.

Sometimes juveniles are ordered to pay restitution, but are also removed from the community and placed in a locked facility. While in that locked facility they may participate in a program that allows them to earn money to pay off their restitution. Others may not be able to pay until they are released from the facility.

If the juvenile has not completely paid all restitution by the time he turns 18, then the Victim's Rights Coordinators Office will process a request to have that unpaid balance considered in a civil judgment. If granted, the judgment packet will be sent to the victim so that a lien may be entered against the juvenile.

Victims always have the option of pursuing restitution through civil law. Even if the Juvenile Court orders restitution, the victim can bring civil legal action against the juvenile and his parents. Parents are liable in civil court for up to $10,000 in damages per incident. In addition, parents are also liable for any restitution the Juvenile Court orders the juvenile to pay.

How does a victim apply for restitution?

Victims Guide to the Juvenile Court process.

Links to other victim information.
click here for Law Library Resource Center
Advisory Hearing DNA Testing
Treatment Services