Juvenile Probation >Probation

Community Supervision: Victim Information Victims of crime in Arizona have a right to receive restitution and to be compensated for loss resulting from crimes committed against them.

Arizona has a Victim's Bill of Rights in its constitution that guarantees these rights.

To qualify as a victim, a person (or legal entity) must be named in the police report as the person against whom a juvenile has been charged with a delinquent act.

The laws describing the rights of victims of juvenile crime in Arizona are in ARS 8:381 through 8:420.

At the Maricopa County Juvenile Probation Department, helping victims with restitution and compensation is the responsibility of the Victim Rights Coordinator and the Probation Officer.

The Victim Rights Coordinator will:

  • notify victims about scheduled court hearings,
  • notify victims of developments in the accused person's case,
  • handle requests for accommodations by disabled persons, and
  • answer any questions victims may have about their rights.
Victim Rights Coordinator
Maricopa County Juvenile Probation Dept.

3131 W. Durango
Phoenix, AZ 85009

How does a victim apply for restitution?
The Victim Rights Coordinator contacts every victim of a crime that a juvenile is accused of committing. Usually, this is done by letter, a few days after the report is received from the police. The letter advises victims of scheduled hearings and other developments in their case, such as the juvenile's release from detention or placement in a treatment program.

After the juvenile has been found guilty, the victim is sent a Verified Victim Statement and notification of the day and time of the juvenile's next hearing. If the victim wants restitution, he should:

  • Complete the Verified Victim Statement
  • Have your signature notarized
  • Attach receipts proving loss
Send the statement, receipts, and your address to:

Clerk of the Court
3131 W Durango
Phoenix, AZ 85009

It is also recommended that the victim attend the hearing.

The pamphlet Restitution: a Help Guide has more details about how to get restitution - and it can be printed.

Sometimes juveniles may not have to appear in court for their offense. This happens with less serious offenses. In these cases a victim can still get restitution. The probation officer will advise the victim by letter of the date and time when the juvenile is scheduled to meet with the probation officer. The victim may attend that meeting and speak his piece about the incident. The victim will also be advised of further developments in the case - whether restitution is assigned and whether the juvenile complies with the restitution requirement.
How can a juvenile who has committed a crime be made to pay restitution? When a victim is granted restitution, it's usually made a term of the juvenile's probation. That means that he is expected to pay that restitution, and pay it by a certain date. Most juveniles are expected to pay a part of it each month.

Some juveniles do not have the ability to pay restitution - they may be very young and not have a job. These juveniles are assigned to a program called JCORPS in which they do community service. The money they would earn for that service is used to pay the victim's restitution.

Juveniles in JCORPS also participate in counseling and educational programs that will help them develop responsibility and job skills so they have the ability to keep themselves out of trouble in the future.

Sometimes juveniles are ordered to pay restitution, but are also removed from the community and placed in a locked facility. While in that locked facility they may participate in a program that allows them to earn money to pay off their restitution. Others may not be able to pay until they are released from the facility.

If the juvenile has not completely paid all restitution by the time he turns 18, then the Victim's Rights Coordinators Office will process a request to have that unpaid balance considered in a civil judgment. If granted, the judgment packet will be sent to the victim so that a lien may be entered against the juvenile.

Victims always have the option of pursuing restitution through civil law. Even if the Juvenile Court orders restitution, the victim can bring civil legal action against the juvenile and his parents. Parents are liable in civil court for up to $10,000 in damages per incident. In addition, parents are also liable for any restitution the Juvenile Court orders the juvenile to pay.

Links to other victim related information Office for Victims of Crime, part of the United States Department of Justice

The National Center for Victims of Crime

Victim Services Page for the Arizona Attorney General

Victim Services Page for the Maricopa County Attorney's Office
Site Requirements This site requires a PDF reader (such as Adobe Reader or another PDF reader) to view and print the prepared documents.
click here for Law Library Resource Center
Advisory Hearing DNA Testing
Treatment Services