Juvenile Probation >Administration

How Does a Victim Apply for Restitution? The Victim Rights Coordinator contacts every victim of a crime that a juvenile is accused of committing. Usually, this is done by letter, a few days after the report is received from the police. The letter advises victims of scheduled hearings and other developments in their case, such as the juvenile's release from detention or placement in a treatment program.

After the juvenile has been found guilty, the victim is sent a Verified Victim Statement and notification of the day and time of the juvenile's next hearing. If the victim wants restitution, he should:
  • Complete the Verified Victim Statement
  • Have your signature notarized
  • Attach receipts proving loss
  • Send the statement, receipts, and your address to:
    Clerk of the Court
    3131 W. Durango
    Phoenix, AZ 85009
It is also recommended that the victim attend the hearing. If you did not receive a Verified Victim Statement form in the mail or you need a replacement copy, please contact the Victim Rights Coordinator at 602-506-3437.

The pamphlet "Restitution: a Help Guide" has more details about how to get restitution - and it can be printed.

Sometimes juveniles may not have to appear in court for their offense. This happens with less serious offenses. In these cases a victim can still get restitution. The probation officer will advise the victim by letter of the date and time when the juvenile is scheduled to meet with the probation officer. The victim may attend that meeting and speak his piece about the incident. The victim will also be advised of further developments in the case - whether restitution is assigned and whether the juvenile complies with the restitution requirement.

How can a juvenile who has committed a crime be made to pay restitution?

Victim's Guide to the Juvenile Court process

Links to other victim information
click here for Law Library Resource Center
Advisory Hearing DNA Testing
Treatment Services